A2180-270 HP0-J24 220-301 642-357 HP2-T28 1Z0-259 920-255 A2090-610 1Z0-023 922-111 HIO-301 70-450 HP0-J45 M2040-725 250-502 000-M221 HP0-J18 000-634 050-690 000-575 250-300 000-646 3X0-202 000-883 000-563 1Y0-118 000-190 EC0-350 C2080-470 920-124 HP0-402 9L0-505 650-294 MB6-507 MSC-122 9A0-055 EX0-112 1Z1-543 HP2-E49 LOT-442 070-460 1Z0-610 C2090-611 CBAP HP0-J16 ITIL-F 0B0-108 117-201 C2040-929 000-881 HP0-093 922-109 MB6-817 E20-005 70-416 1Z1-109 A2150-006 EX0-118 MB3-210 070-671 A2180-178 642-143 70-545-Csharp 000-274 650-178 COG-132 EE0-511 BAS-012 C2020-001 70-305 A2090-730 642-617 1Z0-862 C2150-563 CX-310-345 070-178 1Z1-535 C2150-139 920-106 ST0-192 000-513 UM0-411 77-888 700-302 HP0-A08 070-663 310-025 A2180-184 1Z1-878 HP0-J34 Museum of Decorative Arts in Prague
Cup and saucer with “Vivat Böhmen” inscription
Klášterec nad Ohří (Klösterle am der Eger), 1794
Unmarked, Inv. no. 73.857
Purchased in 1970 from the Hans Meyer Collection

The Klösterle trial product, now in the Museum’s collection, is not exactly an artistic masterpiece; however, its value rests elsewhere. The object is the first or one of the first preserved pieces created in Bohemia’s second oldest porcelain manufactory. The cup’s intricate, almost detective-like story was described in 1973 by Dagmar Hejdová (1920–2009) in her essay published in ACTA UPM VIII. On the basis of comparisons with other early extant objects, Hejdová was able to document the form of the cup with an angular handle as modelled on Thuringian porcelain that had inspired the output of western Bohemia’s first porcelain manufactories.

This cup and saucer was exhibited at the Third General Austrian Industrial Exhibition of 1845 in Vienna. It was presented as a gift to the Österreichisches Museum für Kunst und Industrie (now the MAK, Museum of Applied Arts) shortly after the Museum was founded in 1864. In 1930, the piece was transferred to the collection of the Prague collector Hans Meyer2 in exchange for three old Viennese porcelain sculptures. In 1970, the item was acquired by the Museum of Decorative Arts in Prague.

In April, the Vivat Böhmen cup and saucer will be placed on display at the chateau of Klášterec nad Ohří. There it will enrich UPM’s permanent exhibition that charts the development of Oriental, European and Bohemian porcelain. Newly, the collection will be expanded to include objects formerly in the property of Holocaust victims.

Related Links
Klášterec nad Ohří — an exhibition of porcelain from the Museum of Decorative Arts in Prague)
2015) 2014) 2013) 2012) 2011) 2010) 2009) 2008) 2007) 2006)

A view of the porcelain manufactory in Klösterle am der Eger, c. 1898
UPM’s Christmas...) Christmas Fun Time) Artists’ Books on...) Votive Hall - new...) Objects of the...) Objects of the...) Neoclassicism and...) Just issued! the...) Object of the...) Object of the...) Neoclassicism and...) Object of the Summer) The Exhibit of...) International...) Josef Koudelka...) The Exhibit of...) Easter Monday -...) Porcelain from...) The Exhibit of...) The Exhibit of...) The Artwork of...) The Artwork of...) Galerie...)