Czech Fashion 1918–1939. Elegance of the Czechoslovak First Republic)
Volume Three of the Czech Fashion edition
The book documents the transformations in fashion styles during Czechoslovakia’s First Republic – an interwar era that saw the culmination of the efforts of many generations to introduce modern, practical clothing, and the development and further improvement of Czech fashion production. Haute-couture salons were in regular contact with Paris, where salon proprietors and their designers travelled to see fashion shows and bring back with them patterns and designs for inspiration. During this period, numerous original fashion and society magazines were founded and the first fashion shows were staged in Prague, as well. The country’s highly-developed textile industry provided a solid base for Czech fashion production.
Clothing of the first half of the 1920s was characterized by a decorative style, later called Art Deco; folk art tendencies were a distinctive manifestation of Czech Art Deco. The outcome of women’s emancipation efforts, and their greater money-earning and sporting possibilities in the era of the Charleston in the second half of the 1920s were manifested by a modern, practical style of dress, a greater variation of types of clothing and a style typified by the historically shortest skirts ever. Conversely, the thirties marked a return to female elegance, exquisite materials and inventiveness in detail. During the final pre-war years, close-fitting bodices reappeared, shaping the female silhouette, while elements of men’s and military attire also became fashionable in women’s clothing. Vojtěch Baron Lanna: Collector, Patron and Entrepreneur)
Vojtěch Lanna – svobodný pán, sběratel, mecenáš a podnikatel
The publication focuses on Bohemia’s most outstanding patron of the arts and culture and co-founder of the Museum of Decorative Arts in Prague. Vojtěch Lanna (1836 České Budějovice – 1909 Merano) was an industrialist, building construction entrepreneur, art collector of European stature and a patron of numerous cultural institutions. He was instrumental in the construction of Bohemia’s railroad system and was also involved in river regulation, namely of the Vltava (Moldau). During his life in Prague, he amassed a unique corpus of works of fine art and decorative arts, an important part of which is now in the holdings of UPM, where it constitutes the museum’s core collections. The book contains a biographical study, including the history of the Lanna company, discussed against the backdrop of Vojtěch Lanna’s relationship to the Museum of Decorative Arts. A separate chapter describes his tenure in the Society of Patriotic Friends of the Arts and the art works housed in the National Gallery in Prague. The nucleus of the publication consists of chapters devoted to the individual fields of decorative arts (glass, ceramics, metalwork, furniture, textiles), represented in UPM’s holdings that come from the original Lanna collection.