The holdings of applied graphics and photographs are, in terms of number of items, the largest holdings in the museum, comprising about 200,000 exhibits.

Old prints and graphic art, bookbinding and miniatures were collected from the time of the establishment of the Museum as part of a library. An independent collection was established in 1935 through the initiative of printmaker and events organiser Hugo Steiner-Prag. In the following decades the collection was divided into four main systematically built collections: books, applied graphics, posters and photographs, the latter two being the largest collections of Czech poster art and photography of international standing. Collections of pictures and murals also belong to this department, as well as models of applied art objects.

Step
František Drtikol, 1929