The English-German catalogue published to accompany the exhibition at the Postsparkasse in Vienna explores the period between 1910 and 1920 — an era of early and mature stages of Czech Cubism represented by the most noted proponents of this style, architects and artists P. Janák, J. Gočár, V. Hofman, J. Chochol, O. Novotný, A. Procházka, J. V. Kroha, and others. The publication traces the roots of Cubism after 1900 in connection with Vienna Modernism (Geometric Secession) and discusses the collaboration of architects with Czech artists associated in the Group of Fine Artists, and their involvement in the activities carried out by the Artěl Cooperative, the Prague Art Workshops and the Union of Czech Artwork. It analyzes the art movement’s theoretical considerations and their practical application in various fields of creativity, including furniture-making, interior decoration, ceramics, glass, metalwork and graphic art.
The catalogue was published by the Wagnerwork Museum in Wien in collaboration with the Museum of Decorative Arts in Prague to accompany the exhibition held in the entrance hall of the Postsparkasse, Wien, from June 30th to August 29th 2009.
texts: Daniela Karasová (applied art), Peter Heiko (architecture)
reproductions: c. 120
format: 29.6 x 24 cm, softcover
Price (in the Museum): 240,- CZK